Bushey Maternity Hospital

Heathbourne Road, Bushey Heath, Bushey, Herts WD23 1PB

Medical dates:

Medical character:

1938 - 1976


In 1937 the Middlesex County Council bought the newly built Bushey Heath Clinic in Heathbourne Road for £42,700 for use as a maternity hospital.  The Clinic stood in 3.5 acres of grounds and also had staff accommodation.

The Middlesex County Maternity Hospital opened on 1st January 1938, with 48 beds.  It was administered from Redhill County Hospital in Edgware.  In 1947 an adjacent property, Birchville Court, was purchased for use as a Nurses' Home.

In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS as part of the Hendon Group, under the auspices of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.  It was renamed Bushey Maternity Hospital.

It closed in 1977, when government policy dictated that all maternity facilities should be located within district general hospitals.

Present status (May 2008)

The Hospital was bought by BUPA.  The site has been redeveloped and is now Spire Bushey Hospital, a private hospital.

The site of the Nurses' Home has been redeveloped and now contains Birchville Court Nursing Home, a purpose-built private nursing home for 39 residents.

Spire Bushey Hospital

The entrance drive to the Spire Bushey Hospital, as seen from the corner of Heathbourne Road and Clay Lane.

Spire Bushey HospitalSpire Bushey Hospital

The rather stark-looking entrance of the Spire Bushey Hospital (left) with more buildings beyond (right).

Birchville Court

Birchville CourtBirchville Court

The site of the Nurses' Home is now Birchville Court Nursing Home.



Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page