|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Convalescent Home for
Glen Almond, 14 King Henry's Lane, St Albans, Herts AL3 4AP
|1916 - 1918
In July 1916 the shipping magnate Mr Harold C.C. McIlwraith, a Director of the White Star Line, lent his country home, Glen Almond, to the Commonwealth government and the Australian Imperial Forces for use as a convalescent home for Sisters and nurses of the Australian Army Nursing Service (A.A.N.S.). A Sister of the A.A.N.S. was placed in charge.The Convalescent Home presumably closed in December 1918.
Present status (December 2012)During WW2 the building was used as a Headquarters for MI5 and as a base for intelligence activities, such as training spies. After the war it became a training centre for the Civil Defence.
Later it became a private residential home for the elderly.
The building, now known as Glenalmond, is occupied by Busy Bees, a private day nursery.
The entrance to Glenalmond with signage to Busy Bees (left). The lodge to Glenalmond, to the left of the entrance, is now a private residence (right).
Glen Almond (Glenalmond) is presumably named after a glen in Scotland down which the river Almond flows.
Stone plaques, mainly of stylized thistles, decorate the window above the main doorway.
(Author unstated) 1916 Nursing and the war. British Journal of Nursing, 29th July, 88.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page