|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Kitts End Road, Hadley Highstone, Barnet EN5 4QE
|1891 - 1961
Convalescent. Later, Special School for delicate children.
The Pawling Home-Hospital for Children was founded by Katharine Pawling and opened in 1891. It had 20 beds and was one of the first convalescent homes established for post-surgical cases.
The Home insisted that each child had a good pair of boots, but otherwise supplied all other clothing.
During WW2 the Home was listed as being in the Emergency Medical Service, but continued to admit post-operative children. In 1942 the Canadian Red Cross sent it 288 lb (131 kg) of Canadian jam and a large hamper of Canadian clothes just in time for Christmas, while a local firm, Messrs S. Smith and Son Ltd., sent round a Christmas tree laden with presents.
In 1945 the weekly cost of an in-patient was £2 7s 0d (£2.35), compared to £1 17s 2d (£1.86) in 1944.
The Home did not join the NHS in 1948, but became an independent Special School under the auspices of the Ministry of Education. Its staff consisted of a Matron, a Sister, 3 pre-training students, a part-time ward maid, a school teacher and a cook.
During the 1950s the Home had contracts with the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board to refer patients, as well as with various local authorities, especially those in Middlesex and Essex.
As the health of children improved generally, fewer were received from hospitals - the shortage of children recovering from surgery reflecting the improvement in living conditions. In 1957 and 1958 the Home was half-full. Most of its patients had been referred by a County Council, either from being 'in care', recovering from polio (there had been an epidemic in 1955) or suffering from asthma, bronchitis or heart disease. Patients stayed on average for nine months. The Councils were charged £410 a year for each patient, but not for the holiday period (the Home closed for the month of August every year).
Throughout 1959 local education authorities continued to send debilitated children who lived in bad, overcrowded housing. Girls were accepted from 3 to 13 years of age, and boys from 3 to 7 years.
The lease of the building expired in mid 1960 and it was decided to renew it on a yearly basis. However, the Ministry of Education decided to close the Home in 1961.
Present status (February 2011)
The building has been converted and extended, and is now Hadley Lawns, a residential and nursing home with 44 rooms, owned by BUPA.
The main entrance to Hadley Lawns.
Hadley Lawns (above and below).
The sandstone obelisk, located between Hadley Highstone and Kitts End Road, commemorates the Battle of Barnet. Erected by Sir Jeremy Sambrook in 1740, its legend reads Here was fought the famous battle betweem Edward IV and the Earl of Warwick April 14th Anno 1471 in which the Earl was Defeated and Slain.
Hadley Lawns is shown on the right-hand side of the image, beyond the obelisk.
(Author unstated) 1906 The Children's Home Hospital, Barnet. Lancet 167, 1337-1338.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page