Princess Beatrice Hospital
Old Brompton Road, Earls Court, SW5
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1887 - 1978

Acute.  Later, obstetric
The Hospital, founded to commemorate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, opened as the Queen's Jubilee Hospital in 1887 in Walwyn House (formerly Brecknock Villa) at the corner of Old Brompton Road and Finborough Road.  It had 14 beds and catered solely for the 'sick and needy poor'.  The nurses lived nearby in houses in Finborough Road.

In 1907 it changed its name to the Kensington General Hospital, but for two years only, as in 1909 it became the Kensington and Fulham General Hospital.  In 1921 it added 'Chelsea' to its name, becoming the Kensington, Fulham and Chelsea Hospital.

The old house was replaced in 1930 with a new building, erected at a cost of £70,000.  Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, laid the foundation stone - her son, Prince Alexander of Battenberg (by then Mountbatten), Marquess of  Corisbrook, was President of the Hospital, which was renamed the Princess Beatrice Hospital.  

Only two-thirds of the intended design was built - the southern wing was never added.  The building had six storeys, with accommodation for private patients on the second floor.

By the 1960s the Hospital had 100 beds.

In 1971 it was converted to an obstetric unit.  The Hospital finally closed in 1978.

Present status (February 2008)

The building was altered to become hostel accommodation for the Look Ahead Housing Association and is now known as Princess Beatrice House.  It contains accommodation for 190 single people on low incomes.

front elevation
The northern elevation as seen from Warwick Road across Old Brompton Road.  The entrance to the Hospital was via the staircase on the left.

The main entrance of Princess Beatrice House in Finborough Road
side elevation
The southern elevation and the Finborough Road frontage.  The southern wing was never built, hence the asymmetrical appearance of the building.

foundation stone
The foundation stone laid in 1930 by Princess Beatrice
The building was used as the 'hospital' in the film An American Werewolf in London.
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page