|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St David's Hospital
Millfield House, Silver Street N18
|1917 - 1971
Millfield House was originally built in 1849 as an orphanage for children of the Strand Poor Law Union. An infirmary was added in 1874.
At the beginning of WW1 the building was used to house Belgian refugees. In 1917 it was sold to the Metropolitan Ayslums Board, who used it as a hospital for 300 male 'sane epileptics' (the Edmonton Epileptic Colony). The female equivalent was St Faith's Hospital in Brentwood.
Control of the hospital passed to the LCC in 1930. It was renamed St David's Hospital, when it had 328 beds.
It became a regional centre for epilepsy and, in 1960, had 271 beds, all for epileptic patients. It was planned to close the Hospital in the late 1960s and redevelop the site for mentally handicapped patients. But public policy changed and the project was never carried out.
St David's Hospital closed in 1971 and the patients were transferred to St Faith's Hospital.
status (March 2008)
Millfield House is now a Grade II* listed building.
The Grade II listed Lodge from Silver Street (left). The entrance to 'Saint David's Lodge' (right).
The Lodge from within the garden.
A tall, narrow, clerestorey-roofed building behind the wall - previously an outbuilding for the orphanage school
The Millfield Theatre (left). The west side of the theatre seen from across the garden (right).
The gatehouse (left) and the west wall (right).
to alphabetical list
Return to home page