Venetian Road Schools
(4th London General Hospital)
Venetian Road, Camberwell, SE5 9PJ
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 - 1919

Specialist (military)

In 1915 the Caldecot Road Schools were requisitioned by the War Office and became an extension of the Fourth London General Hospital.  The School buildings (which were located between Bessemer Road and Venetian Road, and listed by the British Red Cross Society as the Venetian Road Schools) were used to accommodate malaria cases.

The annexe had 25 beds for officers and 198 for enlisted servicemen and N.C.O.s.

The Hospital presumably closed in 1919.

Present status (June 2010)

The main school building has survived, with some alterations, and has become part of King's College Hospital.  It is now known as the Normanby Building and contained a number of clinical departments, including Dermatology and Ophthalmology.

Normanby building
The Normanby Building, built as a school by the LCC in 1914.

(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

www. scarletfinders.co.uk

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page